Sunday, November 14, 2010
Toy Soldiers
Every morning I drive south on the I-5 through Camp Pendelton, a Marine Corps Base in Southern California, on my way to work. The view is nothing short of breathtaking; sprawling mountains to the left, the inviting Pacific Ocean to the right, and surfers bobbing in the water at San Onofre State Beach. It seems as though time stops in this area of Southern California; the air smells fresher, the sun brighter, the ocean bluer and the world is more peaceful. Yet, I speed past the scene in my Prius at 75 mph, even 85 at times. Not without capturing and savoring the moment, of course. I sometimes get a nagging urge to stop to take in and enjoy the stillness; who cares if I'm late for work. It's a beautiful day! Even the marines in their army green uniforms and advanced water amphibious assault vehicles training on the beach look peaceful in this backdrop. And, that is just one of many oxymorons on this stretch of the I-5. The surfers bobbing in the water at San Onofre State Beach are actually in front of the San Onofre Nuclear Plant. The stillness of the mountains to the left of the I-5 are overlooked by motorists recklessly overtaking cars and speeding past to get ahead of traffic. The inviting water of the Pacific Ocean is the chilliest water I've ever swam in. The point is, you will find contradictions everywhere you look here, but there is no denying that this is one of the beautiful spots in Southern California. Just as a soldier trains for battle to find peace, I have managed to see through the chaos of my morning commute and found some stillness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment